The coral reef in Queensland, Australia is a fascinating place to visit. In fact, it is the largest coral reef in the world. The most popular coral reef in Queensland, Australia is the Great Barrier Reef. This amazingly beautiful destination is endowed with a fantastic seascape, and rich marine life diversity. In addition, the neighboring landscape is breathtaking. Let us explore the coral reef in Queensland, Australia.
The largest coral reef in the world
- Great Barrier Reef in Queensland, Australia is the largest coral reef in the world. It spans over 2,000 km and it is visible from the outer space.
- The coral reef is home to myriads of marine life species, including fish and other animals and other creatures.
- In fact, 1,500 fish species inhabit Queensland's coral reef. In addition, it is home to about 500 seaweed and algae species.
A fascinating array of marine life
- The Great Barrier Reef coral cays are endowed with myriads of fish species, including butterfly fish, surgeon fish, and angelfish. Other fish species also abound in the coral reef, especially cod, manta rays, and mackerel.
- Queensland's coral reef is also home to other animals, including sea turtles, sharks and dugongs.
- I6 turtle species inhabit the coral reef, especially green turtles, loggerhead turtles, and hawksbill turtles.
- The coral reef encompasses 134 species of sharks.
- About 30 sea mammal species inhabit Queensland coral reef.
A multitude of coral
The Great Barrier Reef is endowed with a large variety of brightly colored coral species, including:
- 411 types of hard coral or hexacorals
- One third of the world's soft corals or octocorals, with sea pens, sea fans, and blue coral.
Other brightly colored creatures
You can marvel at the sight of brightly colored creatures and other animals when snorkeling or diving in the coral reef.
- The other awesome animals spotted in the coral reef waters include crabs, crayfish, and shrimps.
- The attractive creatures spotted inside the coral reef regions feature brightly the colored sea stars, sea urchins, sponges.
- The coral reef waters also encompass sea anemones, and sea cucumbers.
- The most amazing creatures are the soft corals, which have different colors, from green, orange, pink, yellow, or other.
What to do at the Great Barrier Reef
In order to fully admire the beauty of the coral reef and its inhabitants, you can swim and snorkel inside the seawater. The surface water is cool, which will make the snorkeling adventure fascinating.
In addition, scuba diving deep under the water allows you to admire the vibrant marine life, where you can see the great numbers of fish schooling or shoaling together inside the ocean.
Clear water visibility and the amazingly beautiful seascape will give you the most enjoyable snorkeling experience you have ever had.
Learn about coral spawning
Coral spawning is the coral reproduction. It is another fascinating thing to explore at Queensland's coral reef.
- Coral spawning takes place in the outer edge of the coral reef.
- Coral reproduction occurs every year, in early summer or late spring, soon after the full moon.
- Massive number of coral releases their pinkish eggs in the outer coral reef edge.
Spot the coral reef predators
Visiting Queensland coral reef is a unique opportunity for you to learn about the coral reef predators, which are The Crown of Thorns Starfish.
A journey to Queensland coral reef
To visit the amazing coral reef in Queensland, Australia, book your flight online through Opodo. This online travel agency can help you organize your entire trip, accommodation and trip across the country. Opodo can suggest you the most comfortable hotel which suits your need and taste.